You can invest in almost anything. Your IRA or Solo 401k can make nearly any investment you can think of as long as you stay away from family, collectibles, and S-corps*. Basically everything else on earth is allowed. Here’s just a few ideas:
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate (including overseas)
- Horses, Livestock, and other Animals (a client’s IRA bought a racehorse in ’12)
- Private Notes to Businesses and Loans (secured or not)
- Invest in a business (a friend’s, a local business, or a startup)
- Tax Liens & Certificates (this is a very popular area)
- Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds (these options stay available with us)
- Tenant-in-Common Projects
- Options & Currency Trading (choose from nearly any firm with our setup)
- Futures Trading
- Private Placements & IPO’s
- Auto or Aircraft Loans & Leasing
- Equipment Leasing
- Accounts Receivable Factoring
- Dealership Flooring Costs
- ??? What’s your idea ???
Solo 401k’s have a few more options and can interact with family better than IRAs (well, and they pay less in taxes depending on the investment too) so we try and use them whenever we can. Most Americans can have one even though most people don’t know they qualify.
Just give us a call at 888-595-7313 or email us at email@example.com and we’ll go over your situation with you to help you figure out which type of account will work best for you.
*Oh come on; if the Internal Revenue Code always made sense think of all the attorneys and CPAs that would be out of work. : )
Don’t worry though; we’re always here for our clients to review their plans and let you know if it looks solid to us; letting you focus on investing in ways that make sense to you while we make sure it fits inside the rules that need followed.